Thursday, June 28, 2012

GONE GIRL


I was an English major is college. I hope the writing on this blog is a positive reflection of that education. Modern American fiction has always been my biggest interest. That’s what I collect and like to read the most. I am always looking for a great new book or author.

When I hear about summer reading or a "beach read" book, I am immediately suspicious. Most books with that description have very low literary content. I do end up reading a few of these books, but more often than not I am disappointed in the end. Every year the bestseller list is littered with summer books that are not that good.

I picked up Gone Girl with limited expectations. I saw that Gilliam Flynn had written two other best sellers, but I was not familiar with either of them. I did read a positive review of Gone Girl, so I decided to give it a try. After a few chapters, it was clear that this was a very unusual book. In fact, I was having a hard time putting it down.

Gone Girl is a gripping book of crime fiction about a very dysfunctional marriage. Nick and Amy have been married for five years and it is not going well. The book reveals their story in alternating points of view. Back and forth, it is a very twisted version of "he said, she said."

When Amy disappears suddenly without explanation, the mystery begins. Did Nick kill her? It sure looks like it at first. Ultimately, it is not that simple and the twists keep coming. Trust me, you will not figure this one out before the last page.

For a good summer book written with style, interesting characters and a plot that needs a road map, pick up Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. You will not be disappointed.




0 comments:

Post a Comment